Diego’s experience extends for over 20 years in Aviation handling aircraft financing, purchase and sale transactions for airlines, lenders, high net worth individuals and operators and project managing aircraft and fleet acquisitions from contract negotiation to delivery.
Diego qualified as a Spanish Abogado in 2000 and as an English Solicitor in 2009. He trained and spent 5 years at Iberia Airlines in Madrid, as legal counsel where he gained considerable experience with the airline in multijurisdictional work.
Diego moved to London in December 2007 into private practice and has since then advised to clients on ownership and operating structures, negotiating and drafting loan, lease and purchase agreements, security documentation and all ancillary documentation, including registration applications, legal opinions and conditions precedent for delivery, insurance and escrow arrangements.
In addition, Diego has extensive experience in regulatory, commercial dispute resolution, corporate law and commercial agreements, including aircraft operating leases and maintenance contracts.
" As fleet manager and representative for the Planair group and other operating companies we manage, I have worked with Diego Garrigues on numerous occasions over the past 10 years. What we particularly appreciated, in addition to his real legal competences, is his in-depth understanding of our constraints as an aircraft operator-owner. And this is not common with his colleagues with whom we had worked previously. In our business, this understanding is essential. "Albert-Frédéric Bloem | Aircraft Fleet Manager
- Aircraft acquisition and sale – project management from letter of intent to delivery.
- Aircraft finance – operating and finance leases and secured debt finance.
- ACMI, dry leasing and chartering.
- Ownership and operating structures, impact on tax (including VAT and customs duties and Benefit in Kind).
- Regulatory compliance; commercial air transport, Part-NCC and Operational Control.
- Aircraft Registration; International Registry & Cape Town Convention advice.
- Power by the Hour, maintenance agreements and service programs.
- Commercial dispute resolution.
- Corporate compliance; General Terms and Conditions and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Sales and Acquisitions
Acting for several aircraft owners over the past 12 years in the purchase and sale of corporate aircrafts and helicopters.
Latest transactions include:
- Acting on the acquisition and sale of AW139.
- Acting on the acquisition of Premier 1.
- Acting on the sale of Legacy 650.
Acting for several aircraft owners and airlines in the purchase and sale of commercial airliners. Latest transactions include:
- Acting on the acquisition of one B787.
- Acting on the acquisition of two A320.
- Acting on the acquisition of two A319.
Finance and Leasing
Acting for several aircraft owners over the past 12 years in the financing (finance leases and secured loan facilities) for the acquisition of corporate aircrafts.
Latest transactions include:
- Secured loan for the acquisition of Global 5000.
- Finance lease for the acquisition of LearJet 75.
- Secured loan for the acquisition of Dassault Falcon 7X.
- Acting for an aircraft lessor in the acquisition and lease back of five airbus A320.
- Acting for an airline in the operating leases of two Airbus A320.
- Acting for a bank in the secured financing of Cessna mustang aircraft.
- Advising aircraft owners and operators on commercial air transport rules and regulations.
- Advising aircraft owners and operators on EASA Part-NCC regulations.
- Advising charter brokers and operators on privacy policies and General Data Protection Regulation.
- Acting for a corporate on a dispute with an aircraft operator regarding payment obligations and COVID19.
- Acting for an airline in the ongoing disputes arising out of failure to perform under aircraft leases due to COVID19.
- Acting for a corporate in a multi-million Euro dispute against an aircraft manufacturer regarding delivery conditions and enforcement of liquidated damages provisions.
- Acting for an airline in a multi-million Euro dispute regarding unpaid maintenance services on Aircrafts.
" As Accountable Manager at Sundair (German A320 operator), it is with pleasure that I recommend the legal services of Mr. Diego Garrigues to any potential client. Since 2017 we have worked together on aircraft leases from various operators and from different types of leasing companies, as well as on aircraft and engine purchases.
Some deals went through, others we had to cancel. In any circumstance Diego was fully focused on our interests, while highly respecting the other party. His ability to translate and simplify legal language to an engineer is amazing and he deserves utmost respect for his expertise.
Besides his extraordinary knowledge of the legal profession, what I really admire is Diego’s ability to see things from my perspective and act like he is a part of the company. In this way, he is able to insist on what is important, but also compromise in order to help the client to achieve his goal "Branimir Vukovic | Sundair Accountable Manager