Diego’s experience extends for over 20 years in Aviation handling aircraft financing, purchase and sale transactions for airlines, lenders, high net worth individuals and operators and project managing aircraft and fleet acquisitions from contract negotiation to delivery.
Diego qualified as a Spanish Abogado in 2000 and as an English Solicitor in 2009. He trained and spent 5 years at Iberia Airlines in Madrid, as legal counsel where he gained considerable experience with the airline in multijurisdictional work.
Diego moved to London in December 2007 into private practice and has since then advised to clients on ownership and operating structures, negotiating and drafting loan, lease and purchase agreements, security documentation and all ancillary documentation, including registration applications, legal opinions and conditions precedent for delivery, insurance and escrow arrangements.
In addition, Diego has extensive experience in regulatory, commercial dispute resolution, corporate law and commercial agreements, including aircraft operating leases and maintenance contracts.
" As a leading worldwide operator of large business jets, we are in business with aircraft owners and charter clients from all over the world. In spite of each having a different background and specific requirements, we strive to bring the best personalized solution to our customers. Having worked with Diego on many different projects, he always managed to bring the parties together while protecting the principal’s interest.
This is the result of his extensive experience, great sense of relevance and his clarity of vision of the full context. It is our pleasure to continue working with Diego and we look forward for many more opportunities. "Ch. Weber | Managing Director of Privajet Limited
- Aircraft acquisition and sale – project management from letter of intent to delivery.
- Aircraft finance – operating and finance leases and secured debt finance.
- ACMI, dry leasing and chartering.
- Ownership and operating structures, impact on tax (including VAT and customs duties and Benefit in Kind).
- Regulatory compliance; commercial air transport, Part-NCC and Operational Control.
- Aircraft Registration; International Registry & Cape Town Convention advice.
- Power by the Hour, maintenance agreements and service programs.
- Commercial dispute resolution.
- Corporate compliance; General Terms and Conditions and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Sales and Acquisitions
Acting for several aircraft owners over the past 12 years in the purchase and sale of corporate aircrafts and helicopters.
Latest transactions include:
- Acting on the acquisition and sale of AW139.
- Acting on the acquisition of Premier 1.
- Acting on the sale of Legacy 650.
Acting for several aircraft owners and airlines in the purchase and sale of commercial airliners. Latest transactions include:
- Acting on the acquisition of one B787.
- Acting on the acquisition of two A320.
- Acting on the acquisition of two A319.
Finance and Leasing
Acting for several aircraft owners over the past 12 years in the financing (finance leases and secured loan facilities) for the acquisition of corporate aircrafts.
Latest transactions include:
- Secured loan for the acquisition of Global 5000.
- Finance lease for the acquisition of LearJet 75.
- Secured loan for the acquisition of Dassault Falcon 7X.
- Acting for an aircraft lessor in the acquisition and lease back of five airbus A320.
- Acting for an airline in the operating leases of two Airbus A320.
- Acting for a bank in the secured financing of Cessna mustang aircraft.
- Advising aircraft owners and operators on commercial air transport rules and regulations.
- Advising aircraft owners and operators on EASA Part-NCC regulations.
- Advising charter brokers and operators on privacy policies and General Data Protection Regulation.
- Acting for a corporate on a dispute with an aircraft operator regarding payment obligations and COVID19.
- Acting for an airline in the ongoing disputes arising out of failure to perform under aircraft leases due to COVID19.
- Acting for a corporate in a multi-million Euro dispute against an aircraft manufacturer regarding delivery conditions and enforcement of liquidated damages provisions.
- Acting for an airline in a multi-million Euro dispute regarding unpaid maintenance services on Aircrafts.
" Diego is not only a great professional but takes care of your transaction with a global commercial perspective. He is one of the few lawyers in the industry combining strong legal expertise and commercial negotiation skills. This is extremely critical. "Francois Gautier | CEO and Founder, Blueberry Aviation
21 Ganton Street
Soho, London W1F 9BN
" We have relied on Diego for all our aviation legal requirements for the last seven years. He has successfully advised us on all aspects in the acquisition and financing of a Global 5000 and on the sale of a Challenger 604, as well and on the purchase and sale of Challenger 605. He has also advised on management contracts with two operators. He always thinks strategically to serve our best interests. His charm combined with steely determination is an effective combination. "Mark Cliff | Family Office